Before the introduction of dental implants, removable dentures and fixed bridges were the only options for replacing teeth.
What’s Wrong with Other Tooth Replacement Options?
Removable dentures and bridges both have their own advantages and disadvantages. Many patients do not prefer removable dentures because they are not very stable, do not provide enough chewing efficiency, and stain over time.
Dental bridges are considered a superior alternative to dentures as they remain fixed to the supporting teeth and provide excellent chewing efficiency and aesthetics. However, the placement of bridges requires the removal of a healthy natural tooth structure. As a result, the use of dentures and bridges as a replacement for missing teeth has readily declined throughout the world, and dental implants have become the most suitable tooth replacement option.
Why are Implants the Best Option?
- Osseointegration– Dental implants are made of titanium alloys which makes them not only safe, but also gives them the ability to adapt well with their surroundings. Therefore, they can be anchored within the bone to replicate natural teeth. Dental implants are the only tooth replacement option that can be placed inside the bone—the other options either rest on natural teeth or the jawbone. This property is known as osseointegration and it assists in the long-term stability of dental implants.
- Aesthetic– The biggest advantage of dental implants is they look and feel like natural teeth. Dental implants provide a solid and durable foundation for artificial teeth such as crowns, bridges, or dentures to be attached.
- Excellent Success Rate– unlike other tooth replacement options, dental implants are a lifetime solution. Research has shown that dental implants have a 10-year success rate of more than 98%. Implants have excellent strength, can withstand heavy chewing forces, and are resistant to corrosion inside the mouth.
- Safe – unlike removable dentures that sometimes cause sensitivities/allergies in the mouth, dental implants are made with titanium alloys meaning they are 100% hypoallergenic.
- Functional – since dental implants are anchored into the bone, it makes it extremely efficient for chewing and speech. Compared to removable dentures, implants are stable and will not move around or slip off.
Whether you need to replace one or multiple teeth, dental implants are the perfect solution. Call or email our office today to get more information!