Do you find yourself tired, lethargic and sleepy all the time? A sore throat every morning?
- Restless, fitful sleep
- Sleepiness and/or fatigue during the day
- A sore or dry throat that is most acute right after waking
- Memory problems
- Mood swings
- Apathy and decreased libido
- Snoring that is loud enough to wake others
- Unexpected waking in the night that is accompanied by a shortness of breath or choking sensation
- Difficulty staying awake while driving, and
- Frequently waking up with a headache
These symptoms are caused by the manner in which sleep apnea deprives the body of oxygen. Sleep apnea causes the sufferer to periodically stop breathing while asleep, sometimes for several minutes. These episodes can occur as often as 30 times per hour, and can thereby deprive the patient of quality rest at night.
Sleep apnea is much more than just an inconvenience. Research shows that people who suffer from sleep apnea operate in a severely sleep-deprived state each day. As such, they are more likely to get into car accidents, experience accidents while on the job, and develop health problems. A higher risk of obesity, cardiovascular disease, type two diabetes, and even cancer have been linked to chronic sleep deprivation. Don’t wait to address sleep apnea issues—call our Newmarket dental office today so that you can begin receiving treatment.