Your smile plays a major role in boosting self-confidence. Plus, it’s one of the first things that people notice about you. That is why we all strive for pearly white teeth! However, teeth tend to stain over time by our daily activities such as eating, drinking, and smoking etc. Here are a few tips that can help maintain shiny white teeth.
Preventing Teeth Stains
- Maintain Optimal Oral Hygiene
Oral hygiene maintenance is not only crucial for dental and overall physical health, but it is also necessary if you want to have pearly white teeth without stains. Ways to maintain optimal dental hygiene are as follows:
- Brush your Teeth – when regular tooth brushing is ignored plaque and tartar deposits increase local acidity, which increases the chances for staining. Therefore, the American Dental Association recommends that you should brush your teeth at least twice a day. You should also consult your dentist or dental hygienist to teach you the proper method for brushing.
- Floss – many people do not think that tooth flossing is important. This is not true. The fact is that the bristles of a toothbrush are often unable to reach the tight spaces between teeth, which can result in the staining of these areas. This can be easily prevented by flossing at least once a day. Here’s how you can learn to floss.
- Use Mouthwash – adding a fluoride-containing, or any other mouthwash recommended by your dentist can go a long way in preventing teeth cavities, and therefore, staining of your teeth.
- Avoid Excessive Brushing Force – when you brush your teeth using extensive force, you’re actually damaging the enamel layer that protects the teeth from the formation of cavities and staining. Plaque does not require much effort to remove as long as you have the proper brushing technique. Dentists recommend opting for a soft-bristle toothbrush.
- Avoid Foods which Stain Teeth
Another thing you do to prevent teeth staining is to cut down on foods that have an intense colour such as beetroot, curry, ketchup, red wine, and soy sauce. These foods and drinks penetrate into the enamel and leave behind adherent teeth stains. It does not mean that you need to cut out these foods entirely. Instead, just have them less frequently. More importantly, don’t forget to brush your teeth or at least rinse your mouth with water after consumption of teeth staining foods/beverages. You can learn more about foods which can stain your teeth here.
- Try Using a Straw
When you drink directly from a cup or glass, most of the fluid touches your front teeth, hence, increases chances of staining. Using a straw is a simple solution to avoid staining your front teeth.
- Try Natural Teeth Whitening Methods
There are many natural methods for whitening your teeth. Some of these natural methods include using baking soda, oil pulling, and using fruits such as apple cider and pineapple. Then again, don’t consider natural teeth whitening to be an alternative to maintaining oral hygiene.
- Visit your Dentist Regularly
At your regular checkup, your dentist will check for cavities as well as plaque and tartar deposits. If required, your dentist will also perform professional teeth cleaning to remove plaque and polish your teeth to reduce gum inflammation and teeth staining.
In conclusion, make sure to follow the steps listed above to maintain oral hygiene and stay up-to-date with your regular dental check-ups to prevent teeth staining. Happy smiles!
For more information, please visit us:
Davis Dental Care Newmarket
Local Phone: 905.235.8200
Address: 105 Davis DR, Newmarket, ON, L3Y2M9